Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How r u?

Predictive text is a good measure of the state the world is in. On a mobile phone with this incredible piece of technology, a strict hierarchy is placed on words with similar letters, such that an ardent texter can easily enter "he" when she meant "if", or "of" when she meant "me".

I'm sorry to report, folks, that by the measure of predictive text the world is in a sorry state.

"Beer" is ranked firmly below "adds".

"Pint" is ranked below "shot" and "riot".

"Joy" is considered less important than "low".

And "cheer", believe it or not, is forced to give way to "aides".

Is one not permitted to have fun anymore? I only wanted to send a text about my night out and I end up telling people that my aides have reported that the shot adds to the riot.

And if you disagree with me, if you think that hedonistic words like "beer" and "cheer" should be kept in their place, then you will be aghast to discover that when you try enter the innocent verb "sew" into your phone, it returns the disgusting noun "sex". How the world has changed...

No comments: