Monday, October 23, 2006

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls...

Here's my pub. Come and visit it. You will receive a warm welcome. And if you order coffee, you'll receive a little biscuity-thing too.
Why is it called the "Bells" you may ask? Because of the church next door? No - because it was once owned by a family called "Bell". Sorry, that's not very interesting really.
The last two days have shown me two sides of the catering industry. Yesterday, Sunday, the busiest day of the week, two of my colleagues called in sick. Instead of five waiters, we had only three (including inexperienced me). I had to work 10 hours straight with no breaks and no food. At one point the chef refused to cook anything else because the meals weren't getting taken out quickly enough. But we got through it.
Today, on the other hand, I did three hours over lunchtime. Relaxed, pleasant - ah yes, the perfect job. Who needs excitement, or stress, or challenges? But on second thoughts, I didn't earn as many tips as I did yesterday...

No comments: