Thursday, September 07, 2006

To beg the question

Acts 3:1-8: Now Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. And a man lame from birth was being carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple that is called the Beautiful Gate to ask alms of those entering the temple. Seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked to receive alms. And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, "Look at us." And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them. But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and praising God.

What should we do when a beggar asks us for money? It has to be one of the most awkward social interactions, for a Christian or anyone else. Nietzsche said that "beggars ... should be entirely abolished! Truly, it is annoying to give to them and annoying not to give to them." That's often how I feel, but it's hardly the answer.

Occasionally I have spontaneously given a beggar a £20 note, usually out of confusion more than compassion. How can you give money to someone when you don't know if they really deserve charity? Everyone deserves love, but that doesn't mean they deserve financial windfalls! Surely a better way to help homeless people is through organised social work and local government projects. Manchester Cathedral runs a centre for the homeless, for example.

On the other hand, you can't ignore a beggar either. That is plain rude and still leaves you feeling incredibly guilty. That's why the passage from Acts struck me. When Peter was asked for alms, he used the opportunity to help the beggar in a different, more useful way, and witnessed to his faith to boot! Is this a model for us? I can't imagine saying to a beggar, "I've no money, but come to church with me instead." I remember Don Miller in Blue Like Jazz saying that he used to take homeless people to lunch; I can't see myself doing that, either. What is the answer?

To be honest, I think the point of Acts 3 is primarily that no-one should be forced to be a beggar because of a physical affliction. On the whole, today's society is pretty good at protecting the disabled. But that doesn't solve my problem. For now, when a beggar asks me for money, I just acknowledge him and apologise that I don't have any spare change.

No comments: