Friday, September 08, 2006

Frustrating times

The end of my Masters degree is fast approaching. This should be a time of either intense pressure, elation or panic, but for me it's mostly frustrating.

I have already decided not to go for an academic career so my dissertation seems pretty useless, even though I know I should work hard at it to get a good degree. All I want to do is look forward, but I'm forced to stick firmly in the present until this is all done. I find that hard.

On the positive side, my research has enabled me to learn a lot about national identity and the origins of "Englishness". It has turned me firmly into an anti-nationalist. Why pledge my allegiance to a "nation" when I can pledge it to my family, my friends, my faith, humanity? I've also had the opportunity to read lots of sermons by an enthusiastic eleventh-century archbishop. I can hardly complain.

No comments: