Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Adopting

Every now and again I see or read something that reminds me how lucky we are to live in a modern western democracy like the UK.

Earlier this week, the UK government promised more support to speed up the adoption process for prospective parents.  It's a positive but hardly revolutionary announcement and I probably only gave the story a passing glance when I first read it.

Then today, in a completely unrelated story, Russia announced that it would no longer allow Americans to adopt Russian children.  What a bizarre concept!  Reading further it turns out that this is actually just one part of a tit-for-tat series of isolationist measures between Russia and the US.

Still, seeing this reminded me of the UK announcement and really drove home to me the importance of the incremental but progressive reforms that we excel at in this country.  We don't move forward by leaps and bounds, but we do always seem to be heading in the right direction.

No comments: